India’s pride, Bengaluru is nearly 500 years old and has grown from a small time settlement when Kempe Gowda, the architect of Bengaluru, built a mud fort in 1537 and his son marked the city boundaries by erecting four watch towers. Today Bengaluru has grown well beyond those four towers into a sprawling metropolis of more than 6 million people and is referred to as the Silicon Valley of India – accounting for more than 35 percent of India’s software exports.
Bengaluru’s temperate climate, high quality educational, scientific and technology institutions coupled with a thriving IT and Bio-Technology and manufacturing industry makes Bengaluru one of the most sought after global destinations. India’s pride and widely regarded as the Silicon Valley of the east, Bengaluru is now a metropolis of unusual characteristics, also the Knowledge Capital of the country. Bruhat Bengaluru is at the van guard of cultural, intellectual and social developments.
The Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike is keen to establish a durable and wholesome relationship with all the constituents, who are proud to call the City of Bengaluru as their “own”. The Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike is the administrative body responsible for the civic and infrastructural assets of the Greater Bangalore metropolitan area. The Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike is the fourth largest Municipal Corporation in India, after the city corporations that administer Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai. The BBMP is responsible for infrastructural assets of the Greater Bangalore Metropolitan area, spread across 741 km2, with a population of 6.8 million.
Its roles and responsibilities include the “orderly development of the city” — zoning and building regulations, health, hygiene, licensing, trade and education, as well as quality of life issues such as lung spaces, water bodies, parks and greenery. BMP (Bangalore Mahanagara Palike) has killed over 2.5 million stray dogs from 1939 to 1999 for population management and rabies-eradication.
The BBMP represents the third level of government, (the Central government and State Government being the first two levels). Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike is run by a city council. The city council comprises elected representatives, called “corporators”, one from each of the wards (localities) of the city.
Elections to the council are held once every five years, with results being decided by popular vote. Members contesting elections to council represent one of more of the state’s political parties. First election to the newly created body was held on 28 March 2010, after the delays due to delimitation of wards and finalising voter lists.
BBMP is divided into eight zones, for the ease of administration:
- Yelahanka zone
- East zone
- West zone
Every zone has a Joint Commissioner, who is answerable to the BBMP commissioner. The decentralisation hasn’t been very effective in addressing the problems in administration. The end of 2013 saw discussions in various circles about dividing BBMP into more parts.
About BBMP Sahaaya
- BBMP Sahaaya (Help) is a easy and user friendly citizen centric Service interface.
- Sahaaya helps citizens voice their grievance to the concerned departments for further action.
- Sahaaya helps citizens monitor the status of a complaint/request.
- Sahaaya provides transparency in the entire process.
- BBMP Sahaaya helps the citizen in placing a request or complaint and monitors the progress of the complaint.
Why BBMP Sahaaya?
- Have you ever had difficulty in how and whom to call or approach for a specific problem or grievance?
- Have you ever visited several offices to get a simple problem resolved?
- Have you ever called to complain about a problem only to realize that the called number is not the concerned department or person?
- Would you like to make a request with a simple easy to use form with the convenience of the internet or a mobile or a telephone?
- Would you like to avail anytime, anywhere convenience? Then you have BBMP Sahaaya.
Town Planning Section:
Town Planning Section of Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagar a Palike was formed to regulate the buildings as per Chapter XV of KMC Act 1976. The Town Planning Section deals with sanction of building plans, issue of Commencement Certificate and Occupancy Certificate. The section is headed by 2 Joint Directors at Head Office and Asst. Directors at Zonal Office.
- Preparation of Building Bye-laws
- Sanction of Building plans, issue of Commencement
- Certificate & Occupancy
- Certificate as per the provisions of Zoning Regulations of Revised Master Plan-2015 and Building Bye-laws.
- Action against Building violations.
- Furnishing Technical opinion on Town planning issues.
- Registration of Architects / Engineers / Supervisors at Head Office
- Furnishing Technical opinion of Transfer of Development Rights
- Any other work referred by Commissioner.
Plan sanction and issue of Commencement Certificate are done at three levels –
- Head Office
For sanction of all plans with height exceeding 15.0 m or B+G+3 UF, the Town Planning section at the head office is headed by 2 Joint Directors of Town Planning. Commissioner is the plan sanctioning authority or plans sanctioned at Head Office, the concerned Asst. Director of Town Planning section are entitled to issue Provisional Order and Confirmation Order. The concerned Deputy Director of Town Planning is entitled to issue demolition order. The Joint Directors are responsible for monitoring the action taken and report to Commissioner.
- Zonal Office
For sanction of all plans with a maximum height of upto 15.0 m or B+G+M+3 UF. The Town Planning section at Zonal Offices is headed by Asst. Director of Town Planning. The Zonal officesare headed by Addl.Commissioners / Joint Commissioners. For plans sanctioned at Zonal offices, the concerned Asst. Director of Town Planning is entitled to issue Provisional Order and Confirmation Order as per section 321 of KMC Act. The Superintending Engineer is concerned Zone is entitled to issue demolition order as per section 462 of KMC Act.
- Suvarna Paravanige
For sanction of Residential plan on sital area upto 4000 sft., within 3 working days. The Suvarna Paravanigecounters are situated at the Zonal offices of BBMP it is headed by Asst. Director of Town Planning. For plans sanctioned at Suvarna Paravanige, Asst. Executive Engineer / Executive Engineer of concerned sub-division is entitled to take action as per KMC Act.