CHENNAI: Members of the Association of Builders for Chennai Development observed a hunger strike in Chennai on Tuesday demanding that the government expedite the process of approving unauthorised plots that had been created in the Chennai Metropolitan Area (CMA) till 2006.
President of the association A Balasubramani said the government had come out with a scheme to regularise unauthorised plots situated in the CMA almost 25 years ago, wherein all plots registered before December 1989 were approved.
“We demand that the scheme be extended till 2006 so that more such plots proliferated in the later years in the CMA could avail the benefit,” he said.
Noting that several areas with unauthorised plots had been attached to the Greater Chennai Corporation, he said many of these localities were declared as primary residential zone under the second masterplan of the Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA). The government had enhanced underground drainage and metrowater facilities in few of these areas, he added.
“However, planning permission for constructions in these plots is denied by the planning authority which is citing that they do not fall under the cutoff date of the regularisation scheme in 1989,” he claimed.
“In fact, the department of housing and urban development and CMDA through responses to our representation have said that the issue is under their consideration,” Balasubramani said, seeking the government to speed up the process for the purpose.
Credit ET Realty