Article from Times of India
Work stress is one of the biggest health deterrents today. Not only is it a threat to your emotional well being but can also wreck havoc in your physical health. In order to avoid turning this stress chronic, we spoke to health and fitness expert Mickey Mehta to know ways we can end our workplace woes. Here is how you can de-stress:
1. Wash your hands and face, wet your hair, loosen up your shirt, open your shoes. Sit in a very comfortable and easy chair, switch off the lights, sit quietly and focus on deep breathing. Take 21 long and deep breaths. This will instantly help you relieve stress. For example, if you have 5 minutes in your hand, you can have two rounds of 21 deep breaths.
2. Stand straight, keep your hands behind your lower back. Now stretch your hands behind and look up. As you breathe out, bring your hands to the initial position, then bend forward to touch your feet.
3. Imagine any picture which makes you feel relaxed and focus on the picture– like the flowing water, an open sky, a diya, or running in the grass or it could also be a picture of your loved one — your family or partner. But this kind of relaxing is ideally done with pictures of nature.
4. If you are sluggish after a long day at work, you can do some simple stretching to banish the feeling. While sitting on a chair, stretch your legs out on a stool, loosen up completely, keep a support behind your neck, be a little inclined and shut your eyes, and just relax. Try and eliminate all the thoughts that are disturbing you and focus on everything that you wish to aspire.
5. Light a lamp or candle before you, watch it with relaxed eyes and focus on the light. That will bring out positivity, joy and solutions to your worries.
6. If you could get some good fragrances— say flowers or aroma oil, breathe their aroma. Or simply get a mini diffuser at your workplace. Fragrances like moringa, sandalwood, lavender, lily, rose petal, musk and orange make one feel calm and fresh.
7. One can also indulge in some instant chocolate therapy which would brighten up your mood. Simply indulge in your favourite chocolate, but stick to one or two bites!
8. Listen to uplifting music.